To the Communities of Gitanmaax, Glen Vowell and Kispiox:
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as the “Better At Home Program Coordinator” at Gitxsan Health Society. My name is Linda Matthews and my Gitxsan name is Gisba Sto’ot and I belong to the House of Xsgogimlaxha.
I will be:
- Coordinating, developing and promoting Better at Home’s non-medical support services
- Recruiting, arranging training and overseeing volunteers and contractors
- Building relationships with other local key organizations who work with seniors
- Knowledge transferring with other at Better at Home sites including attending telephone meetings and in-person gatherings.
- Managing the Better at Home Budget
- Support the mandated Advisory Committee by coordinating meetings and providing the documentation (minutes and background information).
- Maintaining appropriate records and submits reports to the funder as required.
The Advisory Committee should consist of local key stakeholders regarding seniors’ issues in the community we are encouraging to strive for a committee with at least 50% seniors and an appropriate gender ratio. There will be an eligibility process for becoming an advisory committee member or a volunteer, for example a Criminal Record Check-also called a Vulnerable Sector Check.
Better At Home Services include (fee for service as per Sliding Scale):
- Friendly visiting
- Transportation to appointments
- Light yard work
- Snow shovelling
- Minor Home Repairs
- Grocery Shopping
- Light House Keeping
Guiding Principles for (BAH) Better at Home Program.
- Seniors planning for and with seniors
- Senior centered
- Community driven
- Prevention Oriented
- Evidence informed
- Independence focused
- Simple and understanding
- Based on need
- A non-governmental program
Key Immediate Activities will include:
- Community Engagement in Gitanmaax, Glen Vowell and Kispiox to inform communities of the program. (Looking for “Donation In Kind” space to meet in each of the communities).
- Via these meetings the Advisory Committee will form and include taking names from community for potential committee members and volunteers.
- Screen Volunteers then provide training.
Better at Homes Program Facilitator