Eligibility: Gitxsan Health Society provides medical transportation assistance to Band members of Gitanmaax, Kispiox and Sik-e-dakh (Glen Vowell) who live within the catchment area between Houston and Terrace, including Kitimat, New Aiyansh, Greenville, Gingolx and Canyon City.
Medical transportation benefits are not provided when a client is eligible for benefits under any other publicly funded health or social program, such as Insurance Corporation of B.C. (ICBC) or Workers Compensation Board (WCB), the alternate coverage must be used first.
Infants under one year of age are eligible for medical transportation benefits if one of their parents is a Band member of Gitanmaax, Kispiox and Sik-e-dakh. After one year of age the children must themselves, have a band status number to qualify for medical transportation benefits.
The Patient Transportation program provides supplementary benefits intended to ensure that eligible clients have access to medically-required services. It is not intended to cover all costs that may be associated with a client’s medical condition and travel requirements.
- Obtain all the necessary paperwork for your trip prior to leaving the community (ie. referral from a general practitioner or other health professional; you cannot “self refer.” A referral from GP to specialist is considered valid six months.
- Give sufficient notice, ideally 5 – 10 days prior to leaving the community. This will avoid last minute confusion or having to cancel appointments because arrangements could not be made in time.
- Attend your medical appointment as scheduled.
- Get your Confirmation of Attendance form signed by the Doctor/nurse or medical facility stating that you have attended your medical appointment.
- Travel will not be reimbursed without written confirmation of attendance with original receipts for out of town travel. The time frame for client reimbursement requests is a maximum of 12 months
- Protect all of the original vouchers/warrants/receipts issued to you before your medical trip.
- Give notification when cancelling an appointment prior to the date of the appointment; including 24 hours notice to cancel any hotel arrangements.
- Not damaging property or abusing accommodation arrangements, such as causing excessive noise, being verbally abusive, etc.
- Not becoming verbally abusive or threatening to the patient transportation clerk.
- Clients should not extend their travel beyond what is medically required, nor are they entitled to “stopovers” en route. If client chooses to stay longer they will be responsible for any additional costs and may be required to pay for their return trip back to their community.
All Patient Travel medical referrals, TAP forms, confirmation forms, etc., can be dropped off at either the Gitanmaax Health Centre, Kispiox Health Centre or Sik-e-dakh Health Centre with the Receptionist or faxed to Kispiox Health Centre at 250 842-5587.
In an effort to improve patient transportation for our clients, we kindly ask that you complete a Patient Transportation Information Sheet with the Health Centre Receptionist when you drop off your medical referral. It will take a few minutes of your time but will give us your input on the following:
- Your contact information
- Dates for travel
- How you will be travelling , by private vehicle, bus, or air
- Who is your escort, if requested by doctor/specialist
- Where do you want to pick up your travel package
- Where you prefer to stay
The completed form along with your referral will be immediately faxed to the Patient Transportation Clerk to process.
Please call the Kispiox Health Centre to check and make sure your travel package is ready before going into your local health centre to pick it up. The Kispiox Health Centre Receptionist keeps a record of when individual travel packages are sent to the other health centres.
For Patient Transportation Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm call
(250) 842-5165 or 1 800 663 – 9935
After hours Emergency Services available: Call 250 842-8629 (cell)
Friday 4:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Saturday & Sunday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. daily
If there is no answer, please leave a message with your name and phone number and we will call you back as soon as possible. Thank you.
For FNHA Health Benefits information